Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Joining Heaven's Activity

The twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship
him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
Revelation 4:10-11 (NIV)


I really enjoy keeping a packed schedule! Over the last few years, I have become involved in several communities of faith that have propelled me forward in things of the Spirit. Participating in prayer and worship with other Christians has wonderfully filled my calendar and my heart. I love the Body of Christ! There are not many things as satisfying as being in unity with others as we love and serve God. When we connect as the body and the bride of Christ on earth, we are joining in with the activity of heaven! We are becoming the manifestation of the answer to the prayer that Jesus taught his disciples to pray: "...on earth as it is in heaven." 

A few years ago, being with people was not so easy for me. In a difficult season of life, I had to force myself to get out of the house. Venturing out into terra incognito, I found solitude in places of worship where I was "unknown". The local house of prayer was one such place. Ironically, the unfamiliarity, noise, and activity provided a safe place for me to be alone with God during a time when being by myself at home was too painfully isolating. As I soaked in the Presence of God at the house of prayer, healing began to be evident in my life. Dynamics changed as the house of prayer became a place where I was a regular.

Each of us has to discover our own balance of time in community and time in solitude. For those of us who lean toward extroversion, carving out time and space for solitude can be a challenge. We each have to learn to listen for the Holy Spirit's direction concerning scheduled and spontaneous time apart from the crowd. Yesterday as I left work, I heard that still small voice loudly and clearly, "Come away!" My longing to rest in His Presence was greater than the draw of social media and the exciting new book I'd just acquired! Silence was more satisfying than my favorite worship playlist. This morning, when I awakened an hour early, I remained still and silent for over an hour as I was keenly aware of the activity of heaven. 

Jesus, you are the Only Worthy One!
Draw me into Your Presence daily whether I am in a crowd or in solitude.
I praise You for the mystery of joining in with the activity of heaven.
I thank You for the gifts of friends, books, and music!
More than those things, I treasure Your friendship, 
the words You share with me in the Secret Place, 
and the song that my heart sings when I have been with You!
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I used to wonder how folks could be in prayer & solitude for hours. Now, there are days that I long to be alone in His presence without the distractions of daily life. There is definite healing that occurs when we surrender ourselves to the work of Holy Spirit and, in my experience, it occurs most completely when I allow the complete ”Withness” (per Len Sweet) of His presence. Your words are peaceful AND soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly, I like that... "withness". It reminds me of the challenge to "be fully present". Thanks for reading my blog and for the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete