Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hey, Jude!

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, 
I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith
that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.
Jude :3 (NIV)

I confess that I have never successfully completed one of those "read-the-Bible-in-a year" programs. I started Disciple Bible Study twice and dropped out each time! There are several short and obscure books in the Bible that I have not been intentional about studying. As a young Christian, I was especially eager to learn about the faith from other more mature Christians. I remember one day during my freshman year of college, I ran into my friend Becky at the Wesley Foundation. Becky was relaxing on the couch reading the Bible. When I asked what she was reading, she quickly responded, "Philippians!" I realized in that moment that I knew nothing about Philippians other than that it was in the New Testament. My Bible reading had been very limited and I really hadn't read much beyond the Gospels and Psalms. 

Becky was one of the vibrant Christians I met in college who challenged and inspired my faith. She openly shared her faith with others and worshiped Jesus as if she really knew and loved him. I was intrigued. If Becky was reading Philippians, then count me in, I was reading it too! Reading the Epistles became part of my journey of faith. Each one of these letters in the New Testament served as instruction that guided me along my transition from the teen years into young adulthood. Paul and the other Epistle writers had a way of cutting to the chase as they approached real life issues. I was challenged by the message of these letters and empowered by the Holy Spirit as I began to walk out my faith in daily life.

For some reason, it never occurred to me to question whether the scriptures were "culturally relevant" or not. I was not engaged in historical or literary criticism during that season of life, but in a quest for solutions for daily living. I needed a guidebook and a mentor. In the Epistles, I found that. Paul became for me a big brother in the faith. During the times that I have heeded his advice, even in times of struggle, the results have been beneficial. While I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the value of critical methods of studying scripture, sometimes - especially in times of contending for the faith - I just need to curl up on the couch and read a letter from a friend. 

 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, 
and to make you stand in the presence 
of His glory blameless with great joy, 
to the only God our Savior, 
through Jesus Christ our Lord, 
be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, 
before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Jude :24-25 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment